Rice and Lentils( with Caramelised Onions) Mujadara
This is the Best Rice Dish recipe with Lentils and Caramelised Onions. Serve this healthy, hearty meal for lunch or dinner made with just a few ingredients. This is so delicious it will satisfy vegetarians and non vegetarians alike. The silk olive oil and rice will make it so irresistible you will keep wanting more
I love this Rice Dish so much it has become a staple in our household. What I like about his Rice Lentil recipe is that is it is quick and easy to make. Like seriously, I consider a 30 minute prep time recipe quick and easy for a real natural nutritious meal. Lentils are protein power house so you are not missing on anything. This is my version of Mujadara a Lebanese dish.
What you need:
Basmati Brown Rice
Most people I know have said they feel tired and lethargic after eating a rice dish but not this one. This dish will leave you with so much energy and satisfied you will not want to eat for a while. It is a good protein dense dish full of fibre and good fats. I do serve this as a main dish and serve meat as a side. I never like to make meat a main dish as I think meat is over rated. I quite enjoy lots of main dishes that are mainly plant based and happy to serve meat as a side.
Rice and Lentils (with Caramelised Onions)
Author: myfoodrelations Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook time: 35 minutes Total time: 1 hr Serves: 4 Category: Main Dish
1 Cup Basmati Brown Rice
1 Cup Green Lentils
4 Cups of Water
2 Large Onions
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Tsp Cumin Powder
2 Vegetable Stock Cubes
- In a large sauce pan add 4 cups of water, salt and bring to boil. Stir in the rice and cook until just tender. Do the same with lentils in a separate sauce pan and cook for 20-24 minutes on medium heat .
- Meanwhile warm the Olive oil and add onions. Stir to combine and cover just to wilt the onion a bit 1 minutes maximum. When wilted open the lid and keep stirring until the onions are caramelised.
- Add the stock cubes and the cumin to the onion mixture stir through until the stock is melted.
- Stir in the rice and stir until well combined. Add some water as needed so the rice can absorb the onion mixture favours.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and let it simmer for 5 minutes
- Stir the lentils into the rice mixture and combine and turn off the heat. Let it cool for 10 minutes
- Add the coriander /or parsley and stir through.
- Garnish with grated carrots
- Ready to Serve
Oil and Onion are the stars of the recipe do not try to limit. If you can have more add more.
Adding Garlic is a good option.
Serve with Creamy Tahini Sauce
I chose to use Basmati Brown rice as it is fibrous and does keep me full for a while.
I hope you can enjoy making this dish as much as I do. It is delicious.
As always your feedback is appreciated. Leave me a comment.